Monday, December 11, 2006

Why are there camels in the church?

What do you get when you combine 3 camels, a donkey, a lamb, and the Lamb of God? Answer: Maadi Community Church's annual Christmas pageant! Last night was my (Marcus) second consecutive year getting to see the great performance. I don't remember last year's being quite as funny though. At one point during the first performance, we almost lost one of the wisemen, our friend and youth intern, Kelly Garrett. With Kelly atop its back, a guest-starring camel went from laying to standing (it was supposed to), and Kelly was almost launched forward off the front of the camel. For those of you who haven't been on a camel before, it is more than a bit awkward when they go from laying down to standing, or visa versa. Personally, I think its similar to what it would be like to spend a couple moments in a tumble dry cycle.

Kerry has been fortunate to witness the pageant several times over the years her family has spent here. However, contrary to years past, last night she was a part of the performance. She sang a 'sparkling' duet with Travis, our friend and the church's youth director. Even though they got stuck singing the cheesy Christmas tune, "Mary did you know?", it was easily the best version I've heard. Honestly, for those who haven't heard Kerry sing, it is a wonderful treat. I always hoped I would marry a woman with a terrific singing voice...lucky me!

The performance began late, so the guys and I had a little spare time in the audience. With me are Nathan Bramson (left) and Craig Dow (right). Craig's wife-to-be, Erin, was the choir director, and they both teach at AIS with Kerry.

No comments: